Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Workout Week 1

         Ok, so today was the first progress week, and therefor titled Week 1, so I could see potential strength gains in my lifts. In fact, all my lifts went up (though some more than others). Also, I've been recording my workout partners lifts as well. We've both decided to do a full fitness test next week along with Tim a fellow fitness enthusiast and MDA reader before we embark on a full 12 week program. That said, even though I've gotten a 2 week head start, the experiment will reset and officially begin AFTER the fitness test next week.
          Tim will be doing an entirely different protocol called Starting Strength, as outlined (I'm assuming) in the book with the same title written by Mark Rippetoe. It focuses as well on the "Big Five" but it's main divergences are A. Free weights B. It's 3 days a week vice 1 C. Sets are not to failure. Tim will also be recording his progress and at the end of the 12 weeks we will both retest to see where our fitness levels are compared to our previous test.
         
Todays Stats!

Weight: 149 lbs
Body Fat: 9.9%

Lift stats (in order)
Lat Pulldown:     115 lbs            TUL: 1:42
Chest Press:       130 lbs            TUL: 1:13
Shoulder Press:    50 lbs            TUL: 49
Leg Press:          250 lbs            TUL: 1:10
Rows:                115 lbs            TUL: 1:07

            So I went up in every lift while my times stayed fairly consistent. I only had a minor increase in shoulder press however I think that's mainly because of the order of the lifts. Also, I didn't want to do leg press second to last this time, but AGAIN some guy was on the row machine so I had to do leg press second to last again. Maybe I can somehow mark the equipment beforehand? I realize that's kind of a jerk move, but my workout only lasts 10 minutes, I'm sure they can wait. Besides, there's two of every machine.

After workout food and thoughts!
            I intentionally did my workout fasted today, and man was I starving afterwards. Directly after (within an hour) I consumed 1 1/2 scoops of Syntha 6, 16 pieces of sashimi (Tuna, Salmon, Flatfish), 8 pieces of beef and rice "sushi" (the beef was grilled and in tiny strips on top of rice), and then a protein shake with 32g more of protein. For dinner I had a boneless skinless chicken breast with cheese garlic and black pepper on top, and then a 1/3 lb bison cubed steak with worcestershire sauce on it. I'm still hungry so I'm thawing out a small Ahi Tuna steak as I write this.
           The workout wasn't harder or easier today. It was exactly as draining as last week, though I expected it this time. I thoroughly enjoyed my time to lay on the carpet contemplating "why do I do this to myself" followed by the post exercise endorphine rush and the locker realization that muscles were extremely inflated beyond their normal size. It's a good post workout feeling once you recover yourself.

4 comments:

  1. 열심히 해서 보기 좋네 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'll write a post if you like, just one post giving a bit more description of my plan. I may do the PT test tomorrow since it seems like that's when I'll have the most time. Nice writing and nice description. Are you really not doing any other training?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure that sounds great! Nope, definitely not doing anything else, with my schedule these days there's really not much time for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - I've been swamped with work, I even missed a workout, but I'm still up for it. Here's what I wrote:

    Here’s a description of what I’ll be doing for 12 weeks. SS has a few alternative versions so I want to be clear about what I’m doing. The difference between this and the Advanced Novice version is more OHP and more chins, with bench once a week instead of once every other workout. I need the extra volume on OHP and chins.
    Day 1: Squat, OHP, Power Cleans
    Day 2: Bench, Deadlift, Chin-ups, short conditioning work.
    Day 3: Squat, OHP, Chinups
    On days I have an overload of work, or travel, I will skip day 3 and have a two-day week. Increases are +5 lb on weights (OHP +2.5) any time I get desired sets / reps
    Warmups: Depending on the day, either a couple minutes on the erg or just 50 jumping jacks. Always do several air squats and PVC pipe shoulder dislocations (dynamic stretch). Each lift starts out with a few warmup sets.
    Back squat –low bar full squat, 3 sets of 5. Current: 205 3x5
    Deadlift –1 set of 5. Current: 300 1x5
    OHP – stiff leg barbell press, three sets of 5. Current: 112.5 3x5
    Bench – standard situation, bar touches chest each rep but does not bounce off. Spotter does not "help" - three sets of 5. Current: 185 3x5
    Chinups – full extension at bottom, pause, chin fully over top bar. Two or three sets, occasionally weighted. Current: 12 consecutive, or 4 with +25 lb and belt.
    Power Cleans – Standard form. Current: 175x1
    Other exercises, done occasionally after the main ones and always optionally: clean and jerk, push press, close grip bench press, glute ham raise.
    Once per week, I’ll do a short hard run or some hill sprints or a short indoor conditioning workout such as erg sprint rows or burpees. I also play singles racquetball every week or so for about 1.5 hours.
    Age: 40 yo, Height: 6’1” / 185 cm, weight: 205lb / 93k. Athletic history: Minimal. Job: Desk, civilian.

    ReplyDelete